Thursday, July 9, 2015

July DIY Week - Embellished Shirt

 
I want to start off by saying that yes, Wednesday's DIY is being posted on Thursday, but Thursday's will also be posted today so we are golden people!

Anyways, I'm really excited about this DIY, because I've been looking at shirts similar to this on J.Crew and Gap, but have never found the right one or have been able to spend the amount of money they were asking for. For this DIY, I only used things that I already had in my house, but I think that it would have been around $15 dollars had I ventured to Walmart and bought everything knew. This shirt and the necklace I used were $5 dollars each from Walmart and the fabric glue was about $3 from Michaels. 
I started off by popping all of the jewels out of my broken necklace. Honestly, it was harder than I thought, I did the same thing for the clipboard earlier in the week (why is all of my jewelry broken?) but this was much tougher, and eventually I made my dad help me and he used pliers. I make no promises on the amount of skill needed. 

 Once you have your pieces, start arranging them on your shirt. I thought I had a picture of this, but I can't find it so I guess not. The idea is to make it frame your neck, sort of like a necklace would, but you can use your own artistic vision for this.

 Then came time for the glue. My fabric glue had exact directions on how it needed to be used, so make sure you check the back of your bottle so that you get the desired results.

And this was my finished project! It was so easy, for example I could actually do it, and I think it looks really good. This is definitely a good alternative to buying one new, as it costs less and it can be personalized however you like it. So far, I can't say how well it holds up, but the glue promises great results.

No comments:

Post a Comment